Monday, October 5, 2026

Are Chabad Greeks?


I mentioned that the theology of the afterlife of Raul Martinez is from Greek tragedy.

I saw Elektra on Swedish TV as a child and I read a summary of the Oresteia though not the whole thing.

In Elektra, The Libation Bearers (part two of the Oresteia) or in both, Agamemnon is said to have no peace until that the life of his murderers, his wife Clytaemnestra and her adulterous lover Aegistus, have been shed.

The Greek connection is pretty firm.

However, there is also a Jewish one, it seems.

The act of murder is viewed as if the murderer had also severed the life of the soul in the celestial regions from its "body" in those regions. Although such separation would have occurred sooner or later anyway [by the natural death of the victim, Ed.], the murderer is punished for having brought this about prematurely. Hence his own soul will not find its resting place until the murder has been avenged. This principle explains the strange story related in Kings I, chapter 21 of the judicial murder of Navot through Jezebel and king Ahab. We are told that the "spirit" of the slain Navot volunteered to seduce king Ahab into sinning by listening to his false prophets and that the Heavenly Tribunal concurred in this act of deviousness by the "spirit" of Navot. (Kings I 22:21)


Hence his own soul ... that of the murderer, who is punished, or that of the murder victim? In context, the latter. But in good logic, it could be the former, rather.

However, while we are at Naboth's vinyeard (a topic that some bring up in connection with Zionism), I pretty well know the story.

I look it up in Douay Rheims with Haydock comment.

No, neither verse 21 in chapter 22, nor the comment attached to it say that the spirit volunteering was Naboth's.

I look up chapter 22 in the interlinear version with Biblica Hebraica and word by word translations, no, there is no indication of the name Naboth in that verse. Just to double-check, in previous chapter Naboth is marked as Strong's lexicon 5022. And doing an F search, no 5022 occurs in all of chapter 22. However there is no problem searching for numbers by an F search. 996 which I find in the first line highlights the "ben" and the "uben" of "ben Aram uben Yisrael" ... the name Naboth simply does not occur in chapter 22.

If Chabad claims to have this reading from the "oral Torah" I claim it's not the oral Torah, it's the oral Aeschylus or Sophocles. Perhaps via Alexander, perhaps via Alexandria, rather the latter, after the rejection of the true Christ.

May Martinez has not failed her daughter just because Christa is still breathing. If it were the case, Elias and God would have failed Naboth when God told Elias "have you not seen his penance?" or words to this effect:

And the word of the Lord came to Elias the Thesbite, saying Hast thou not seen Achab humbled before me? therefore, because he hath humbled himself for my sake, I will not bring the evil in his days, but in his son's days will I bring the evil upon his house
[3 Kings (1 Kings) 21:28-29]


But God did not fail Naboth.

Nor does God fail the martyrs:

And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held And they cried with a loud voice, saying: How long, O Lord (holy and true) dost thou not judge and revenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth And white robes were given to every one of them one; and it was said to them, that they should rest for a little time, till their fellow servants, and their brethren, who are to be slain, even as they, should be filled up
[Apocalypse (Revelation) 6:9-11]

[9] "Under the altar": Christ, as man, is this altar, under which the souls of the martyrs live in heaven, as their bodies are here deposited under our altars.

[10] "Revenge our blood": They ask not this out of hatred to their enemies, but out of zeal for the glory of God, and a desire that the Lord would accelerate the general judgment, and the complete beatitude of all his elect.


In other words, they want an end of the conditions that allowed their (temporary, but still radical) misery, not necessarily the damnation and before that misery of the murderers.

They are told by God to rest a little longer, meaning that the loudness of their intercession is not a torment to them, but compatible with repose.

And this goes for other murder victims who are in Heaven too.

Hans Georg Lundahl
Paris
St. Placidus
5.X.2026

Messanae, in Sicilia, natalis sanctorum Martyrum Placidi Monachi, e beati Benedicti Abbatis discipulis, et ejus fratrum Eutychii et Victorini, ac sororis eorum Flaviae Virginis, itemque Donati, Firmati Diaconi, Fausti et aliorum triginta Monachorum, qui omnes a Manucha pirata, pro Christi fide, necati sunt.

I have consulted, apart from references given above:

Resting in Peace
From Shenei Luchot HaBrit by Rabbi Isaiah Horowitz
https://www.chabad.org/kabbalah/article_cdo/aid/379626/jewish/Resting-in-Peace.htm


3 KINGS - Chapter 22
https://johnblood.gitlab.io/haydock/id898.html


1 Kings 22
https://biblehub.com/interlinear/1_kings/22.htm


1 Kings 21
https://biblehub.com/interlinear/1_kings/21.htm

No comments: