Monday, October 22, 2018

To Eilonwyze an Author? What's That?


C. S. Lewis in his Narnia series fairly often came up with easy to understand and yet very fine descriptions.

"It's like waking up and finding it is summer holidays"

Or "it's like finding what you have been looking for."

It seems he was appreciated by Lloyd Alexander, since he put such descriptions in the mouth of Eilonwy - it's a mannerism of hers too, except, not living under English school system, she is not likely to speak about "summer holidays". And, in her case, it is often a remark to someone, very often that someone being Taran. "I'm glad you are awake, looking at someone sleeping is like counting the bricks in a wall."

I reread after decades The Book of Three, yesterday, and it's still as enjoyable as in my pre-teens and teens. Some of the things I did not recall, however, I so to speak discovered "for the first time", like how he Eilonwyzed this mannerism of C. S. Lewis.

I also noted the year. 1964 ... was it in the sixties that both Narnia and Middle-Earth had a kind of Renaissance? I think so. I also think Lloyd Alexander may have contributed to that.

Chronology : 1950 - 1956, Seven Chronicles of Narnia. 1954 - 1955, Lord of the Rings. 1964 - 1968, the Prydain series.

I don't mean it in a bad way, but Lloyd Alexander was rehashing some of the appeal of the former two. In some ways going one better. Gwydion is real Welsh, while Aragorn is Sindarin, which, however much of a conlang it may be, is still kind of - also - a "substitute Welsh". Please, conlangers and Tolkien fans, I am not belittling Sindarin, but ... Welsh is still Welsh. A language which made even a coal waggon on a train attractive to Tolkien./HGL

No comments: