Friday, April 17, 2015

Suppose ONE Single work by GKC had Inspired Lord of the Rings ...?


1) Suppose ONE Single work by GKC had Inspired Lord of the Rings ...?, 2) In Defense of the Tom Bombadil Chapters, 3) Tolkien's Scouring of the Shire (Disagreeing with Plank)

No, I do not mean The Ballad of the White Horse. That one, with its anachronism is closer to the playfulness of Farmer Giles of Ham. Also rich in anachronism, like the Blunderbuss which which he shoots at the Giant.

No, I meant an essay. Here it is:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32337725

No, wrong link, here:

An essay by G. K. Chesterton
Ethandune
http://www.readbookonline.net/readOnLine/20282/


If John Ronald read this when he was young and impressionable and remembered it in enriched ways, I would not be surprised. If I get to Heaven, I might ask him, here on earth it would be the sin of necromancy to do so. And I suppose his close family, those still alive, won't answer.

Nevertheless, King Alfred as appearing in both the essay and the poem may have sth to do with Aragorn.

Hans Georg Lundahl
Nanterre UL
Pope St Anicetus
Martyr under Marc Aurelius
17-IV-2015

No comments: